Overview of the Assessment
The purposes of the 8th Grade Social Studies final exam are as follows:
- To assess student proficiency with the essential content and skills required of the 8th grade curriculum towards alignment withNew YorkState standards and performance indicators in world history and geography
- To inform teachers’ instruction based on the strengths and areas of improvement demonstrated by overall student performance
- To identify students in need of instructional support
- To facilitate a program evaluation of skills and concepts taught throughout the K-12 continuum
The 8th grade final exam is comprised of the following components:
- Multiple Choice
- Document-Based Question Scaffolding
- Document-Based Question Essay Task
Directions for Administering the Assessment
The final exam should be administered as is with no additional support or preparation by classroom teachers. The exam should be administered with the same integrity and design as any New York State assessment.
Please follow the June 2012 Middle School testing calendar when giving this exam.
Scoring the Test
Tests are to be scored in buildings, in teams (preferably) and then submit qualitative and quantitative feedback.
The answer key will be posted on greecesocialstudies.wordpress.com on a password protected page after the multiple choice section is given on June 18.
Gathering Assessment Feedback (These will be emailed to you)
- Qualitative feedback: Based on the scoring of the student assessments, each teacher will complete a graphic organizer to indicate his/her students’ demonstrated strengths and weaknesses with the essential skills, as well as description of how this information will inform his/her teaching.
- Quantitative feedback: Based on the scoring of the student assessments, each teacher will complete an excel spreadsheet to indicate his/her students’ overall ability to meet (65% or higher) or exceed (85% or higher) expectations on the total exam, as well as the individual components.
Please return all feedback forms to Gail Gefell in the Office of Social Studies by Friday, June 22nd.
2011-2012 Grade 8 Possible DBQs – Please distribute this to your students on or after MAy, 29th.